Did you know that WATER is the fourth Macronutrient? Protein, Carbs, Fats and Water.
How important is water? How many times do we forget to drink during the day?
The cool thing about water is that depending on when we have water and if we have it cold or warm it can have an impact on our digestion and our metabolism – this is called TEF (thermic effect of food).
So let’s break it down:
- COLD water: our body temperature is around 36.5-37.5 degrees, cold water literally “shocks” our body and digestion. To cope with it, our body puts more effort into warming this water for absorption, increasing the metabolic rate thus, we burn calories in this process.
- WARM water: if you think about when you have to wash a pan after cooking animal fat, it works better with hot water. Interestingly it aids fat digestion. Warm to hot water is very calming, relaxing for our digestive tract and it’s closer to our internal temperature avoiding any shock.
- HOT water: having hot water (especially in summer) that makes us sweat is great, we need to sweat to be able to detox and excrete toxins and waster products.
- AMBIENT temperature water: just helps to maintain healthy bodily functions, since we are 60% water and our blood is 90% water, you can see how sipping through during the day is crucial for our wellbeing.
So when is the best time to have these different temperatures?? I’ll tell you now.
- COLD water: Empty stomach, so it does not slows down digestion. If you have cold water after a meal you may feel heavier for a few hours due to this. So it’s great to have during and/or after exercise training, to help burn calories and after exercise to cool down quicker.
- WARM water: Upon waking, to stimulate digestive juices secretion and bowel motility. Can add a squeeze of lemon or ACV for digestion to the next level.
- HOT to Warm: 30 mins after a meal if the meal was big to help digest. This is why lots of cultures incorporate hot teas in their meals. So why not have a nice peppermint tea after lunch? or chamomile after dinner? You’ll sleep soundly 🙂
- A/T water: sip throughout the day to keep hydrated, with an empty or full stomach, no specific distinction here. But since you know how HOT and COLD impact you, normal temperature water will be just boring 😉
How cool is that the temperature of the water can impact us so much!
After this read please reach for your glass or steel water bottle have a big sip will ya?
I hope you found this interesting! Since I found this out it was a game-changer for me. I normally sip warm water throughout the day and only cold during/after exercise, perfect balance.
Just worth mentioning that I only drink filtered water and I found a great local company that does amazing water filters that take out fluoride, chlorine, drugs, hormones and heavy metals. You want to invest in a filter that takes out all these nasties, not only chloride.
Here is the link to these EPIC guys: -> https://epicwaterfilters.com.au/